|Happy New Year!! 2016 UK
- the first fun thing of 2016 was spending New Years Eve and New Years Day with friends and family in the UK. It was cold and dreary, but seeing Mark's friends and family always makes me wish we all lived closer...in a much sunnier and warm environment ;)
- Throttling around the English Countryside in Mark's other wife, a 1974 Min Cooper that he restored with his mate Duncan. Her name is Polly and he goes to visit her in the UK as often as possible under the guise of business trips to Europe!
|Her name is Polly
|Rally bar and seat belts...
- Ironman Kona...duh, of course this would be close to the top ;) This year was my 7th Kona and it was my third year of swim, bike, running myself onto the Kona podium. From swims in the ocean with friends and family, to getting blown on the Queen K, Kona remains one of my most beloved places to be.
|Kona Finish #7
|Kona waters with my sis and bestie
Ending the year as the #1 ranked All World Athlete by Ironman for the 2nd year in a row :) I know it's based on how much you race, but I am pretty proud of it.
- Qualifying for my 8th Kona this past November at Ironman Arizona.
|Focus on Sonja's words...GO!
- Taking the 35-39 North American Champion Title at Ironman Texas in May. Ironman Texas has been on my list for a long time, with me racing it all but one of the years it's been in existence.
- Claiming my VERY FIRST overall amateur win at Escape From Alcatraz. This is not my typically jam as it's COLD and SHORT, which makes it an even more awesome moment of 2016 for me.
|Sherpa's gotta EAT, and me too...
- Celebrating 7 years of marriage to Mark. No one tells you that being married is different to living together and that it isn't always easy. You've been warned! But it is awesome, and I can't wait to continue this life we've created together.
|Does he look aero?
- Swimming 100x100's...OK, so I'm doing that tomorrow, but 100x100's is always an EPIC event. Pic to follow tomorrow morning...
- Swimming. With. Dolphins....TWICE in one trip. This was something that I had been gagging to do every time I've been in Kona. I was only ever going to swim with them if it happened in the wild as I don't believe in paying to swim with them. And it finally happened. Thankfully the first time was by myself of of the Kona pier as when I saw them, I literally couldn't stop laughing with excitement.
- Taking a helicopter tour of the Big Island. It more than solidified that it's my favorite place on Earth and was just awe inspiring.
- Getting to race in my home town of Delaware, Ohio at the Ironman 70.3 Ohio. There's something about KNOWING a course and being back home on the race course with friends and family. I got cheered on by my BIGGEST fans and longest time friends and family and it was just awesome. My dad has never gotten to see me race as traveling is tough in a wheel chair, so having him out on the course was the cherry on top.
|Hometown goodness and another 2nd place :)
- I celebrated my 5 year anniversary at my job. I can't imagine working anywhere else and my team mates and colleagues are beyond supportive of my outside of work pursuits and I cant explain how grateful I am for that.
|The support I get from my colleagues post IM...just WOW
- Riding down the California Coast for two days with three amazing friends, Pia, Kayla and Erin. We missed the true Coast ride over MLK weekend due to rain so we made up for it with a GLORIOUS two days in June, complete with lots of mid-ride treats at Big Sur Bakery!
- Christmas in Tahoe. The cold may not be my jam, but my family is and the only thing missing was my dad. But it was AWESOME to be with my sis, my nieces, my mom and the rest of our family over Christmas. Baby girls even have #heartandcourage and can make a heart better than their Aunty.
|Best Nieces evah
|Good Friends and vino!
- Last but not least and maybe not the most exciting, but it's always a highlight to spend another year doing what I love, and being surrounded by those I love. So cheers to a sturdy (for the most part) body, and friends and family that I can't imagine being without.
This was a group effort so please see these lovely ladies' blogs for the rest of the theme! Erin Klegstad, Laurel Richardson, Lizzie Cullen, Christine Cogger, Caitlin Constantine, Jennifer Ward and Elizabeth Rich
Happy New Year's to you and yours and can't wait to see everyone on the course in 2017!